Members gathered in Cabo San Lucas, MX November 7-11, 2018 for our yearly Annual Meeting & Owners’ Forum and to celebrate The Unified Group’s 20th Anniversary.
Guest speaker Bruce Boguski, President of The Winner’s Edge, a peak performance consulting firm in Findlay, Ohio kicked off the first day of the meeting. Bruce is a nationally known presenter on motivational tactics and mental toughness training, using high-energy, interactive techniques to inspire and delight his audiences. Bruce’s presentation “Ignite; Get Fired Up” showed members how to switch between right and left sides of their brain. Other topics covered were how to develop unshakable belief because when you believe you go ALL in, affirmation training, how to stop automatic negative programing and the ability to regroup. It was a successful first day. “Bruce was a very engaging and great motivational speaker that shared techniques I can use.” Paul Gosserand (CMC Corporate Solutions)
This yearly meeting is a time for our owners to work on their business instead of in it. Over the next two days, the group shared best ideas implemented within their businesses to help others in the group learn, improve and grow. “I really enjoyed the sharing of best ideas. It's inspiring to hear the successes of others and the possibilities we have.” James Sandoval (J&J Air Conditioning)
There were many opportunities to breakout into small groups to discuss strategic issues important to their businesses. We had three different lightning round breakouts which centered around the factors critical to our members success: People, Process and Planning.
Our first lightning round breakout was on people; finding and developing people, leading and managing your team and providing a great place to work. We are in a people business. Our ability to succeed in our goals depends on having a great team working towards a common purpose. “It was a great breakout. It helped us bond over common issues and work through some problems.” Brian Martinenza, Jr. (Service Unlimited, Inc.)
It is important to have the right structure and work processes for your business. We need to have people in the right roles and support them with clear responsibilities and procedures. The small groups discussed process mapping, Lean contracting, alignment of roles and responsibilities and business development – sales and marketing. “The meeting was well planned and thoughtful. Lightning Rounds challenge individual executives to learn new concepts and perspectives of others. I like this portion the most.” Joe Glassman (Glassman Corporation)
Strategic planning, succession planning, and goals and objectives were discussed in our planning lightning round. Where do we want to be and how are we going to get there? What is our preferred future and what will it take to realize it? Whether we are talking about a project, business initiative, or a strategy, effective planning will be critical in determining our success. “Learning from our diverse group of members and being able to get a different perspective and ideas on how to better operate our companies and grow our leadership skills was the best part of the meeting.” Fred Roser (Lexington Mechanical Services)
There was great information shared throughout the 2 ½ days and we had some fun too with a group catamaran excursion, dinner in town and a closing dinner on the beach with a bonfire. “The opportunity provided by this group to work on your business in a room full of incredible people is really something special.” Derren Saucier (Temperature, Inc.)
A special thank you to our task force who helped plan the session; Mike DeVito (Air Comfort Corporation), Paul Gosserand (CMC Corporate Solutions) and John Hobbes, (Midstate Energy).
- Jackson Systems provides a free, on-demand Commercial Forced Air Zoning Webinar!
- Service Unlimited, Inc. receives awards at the ABC Delaware Awards Dinner!
- B&I Contractors, Inc., participates in this year’s closing event for the STEM@Work program!
- Service Unlimited, Inc. attends the PHCC Association of Delaware Apprentice Night!
- J&J Air Conditioning presents at the 31st Annual BOMA Roof Walk Seminar!
- The Unified Group is proud to connect great member companies!
- Member Spotlight - Glassman Corporation
- Preventative Maintenance for HVACR Equipment Is Important for Several Reasons!
- Trades Day at Peterson Sheet Metal!
- The Unified Group Introduces H3 HVAC Parts!
- B&I Contractors began a targeted specialized training by offering a Florida Backflow Certification class!
- It's Hard Out Here for a PMP (Preventative Maintenance Program)!
- Midstate Energy continues support of our military recruits!
- Important Announcement! Date change for the upcoming Changing State of Refrigerants Webinar!
- H.C. Blake Co., Inc. Joins The Unified Group!
- Register today for the upcoming 2019 Safety Director's Forum!
- Member Spotlight - Huckestein Mechanical Services redefines their business model for success!
- Service Unlimited, Inc., participates in the Easterseals/CAI Volleyball Challenge!
- Registration is Open for The Changing State of Refrigerants Webinar!
- B&I Contractors participated in the Build My Future Career Fair at the Stars Complex last week!
“ My favorite part about these meetings is the camaraderie amongst the attendees. Overall, the consistent excellence rating is compliment to the organization and the people associated with the process. ”Tim Conry