In today’s workplace, safety procedures are important for the well-being of both employees and employers. Air Controls has grown incredibly over the last two years and it was decided that they needed to expand to include a HR/Safety Department. At the end of February 2019, a new member of the team was selected, and the process began.
In March of this year, Air Controls started a comprehensive review and revision of their safety program. It began with the formation of a Safety Committee, then the creation of a Near-Miss Reporting Program and continued with a revision of their safety manual. “We partnered with workers’ compensation carriers and the company’s insurance broker’s safety consultants to build the best program possible. We’ve been able to negotiate a 10% decrease in our workers’ compensation premium,” said Dave Ude, HR & Safety Professional.
Air Controls continued to improve the information provided during their monthly safety meeting. They looked to advance into an electronic Learning Management System that would continue to improve the safety footprint with their teams. They added a bi-monthly newsletter, site visits and inspections and took an informative, pre-emptive approach to safety, while adding a dash of humor and a personal touch. “By making these simple changes, our employees have become more vocal in their safety needs, whether it be PPE, shirts, vehicle issues, or tools, they are readily reporting their needs,” said Ude.
In addition, the number of reported near-misses involving their employees has dropped drastically; the teams are being safety conscious! So much so that Air Controls started a “Why Do You Work Safe?” campaign to continue receiving input from the teams in the field.
“Supervisors and employees are equally responsible and are expected to develop the proper attitude toward safety and health. Everyone is responsible for ensuring that all operations are conducted with the utmost regard to health and safety. Our main goal is to keep our employees working safe and engaged! Being accident free enhances morale, which increases productivity and ultimately enhances the bottom-line for everyone. It is a win, win, win situation for everyone!” said Ude.
Great job to Air Controls for being dedicated to the promotion of safety in the workplace. A safe workplace attracts and retains quality employees and allows everyone to thrive in a safe, caring environment!
- Jackson Systems' Fall 2019 Training Season is Here!
- Register today for the upcoming 2019 Financial Benchmark Overview Webinar!
- Free Shipping on Stock Danfoss Compressors for September to the continental USA!
- Reminder: Register today for the upcoming Soft Skills for Technicians Webinar Series!
- Changing the Societal Stigma Around Trades!
- EPA Settlement: The Gray Areas of Compliance
- Jackson Systems' YouTube Channel is Booming!
- Member Spotlight - Air Controls
- A&G Piping recognized as one of the Top 100 Private Companies in Fort Worth!
- H.C. Blake Co. Inc., Makes Old Things New!
- B&I Contractors named Best HVAC Company and Best Large Company in Gulfshore Business Magazine!
- Register today for the Soft Skills for Technicians Webinar Series!
- B&I Contractors Voted Best HVAC Company and Best Large Company in Gulfshore Business Magazine!
- Reminder: Register today for the upcoming 2019 Human Resources Forum!
- Register Today for the Trimble How to Use New SysQue Features Webinar!
- MSS Hosts Their 2nd Annual "Stuff the Bus" school supply drive to help United Way!
- B&I Contractors presents a $5,000 check to Fort Myers High School!
- The Summer Treats Have Arrived!
- EPA Proposes Changes to Key Refrigerant & HVAC/R Requirements!
- The Unified Group's 2020 Training Schedule is Now Available!
- B&I Contractors, Inc. - Member Success Using Purchasing Partner
“ All this information is useful to discuss with people in our business to gain a glimpse at how others in the industry do what we do. ”Tim Conry