Walking the fine line between being a history buff and a junk collector can come with endless possibilities. For the last eighteen months, Jim Batson, Owner of H.C. Blake Co. Inc., has been working to convert a 30,000 square foot, old shopping center into a new office for his family business. The family business has been up and running since 1884.
Since Batson’s family has been in Huntsville, Alabama for the last 135 years, they have been collecting treasures of the city’s past. H.C. Blake Co. Inc., opened their newly refurbished operations hub this month. Batson designed the offices to showcase the history of Huntsville by including the artifacts they have collected. “I have repurposed probably seventy percent of the stuff here,” said Batson.
Included in this revamped space are hundreds of odds and ends like brass fire sprinkler heads, boxes of old metal toothbrush holders, tin panels, awnings, and glass panels in two walls to give a sneak peek into the building’s plumbing area, which showcases the pipes and connectors signed by the employees of H.C. Blake Co. Inc., whom installed them. Old pipes were used to create wall beams. Batson mounted many objects in decorative displays on the dark wood wall and used old roofing tins to decorate the planter pictured. In addition to the ultra-modern offices that were created for the service and construction divisions of the family’s business, there are rooms available for the public’s use to host events such as reunions, etc.
The entire shopping complex received a renovation including new glass fronts, which are actually old glass that has been recycled. The L-shaped shopping center will also include a supply house, a store that specializes in water filtration, indoor air quality, smart home and ADA equipment. There will be an office space for the development organization of North Huntsville, an art gallery and a yoga studio that will be accessible to H.C. Blake’s 150+ employees. A museum and store will be added that focus on Huntsville’s history and two restaurants serving Cajun food and barbecue will join Meat-and-Three, Betty Mae’s and Kim’s Diner.
“I love refurbishing stuff that’s old and making it new. When I first bought this place, I wanted to make it look like downtown on the square. I love my hometown and preserving what city history I can. It’s about seeing the growth and watching the town flourish,” said Batson.
Excellent job to our member, H.C. Blake Co. Inc., on rebuilding your hometown, preserving the history of Huntsville and making old things new again!
- Jackson Systems' 2019 Fall/Winter Training is Now Available On-Demand!
- Harvey W. Hottel, Inc., provides in-house training to their employees!
- Check out the 2020 training Schedule from J&J Air Conditioning's Training Division, A.I.R.!
- Brian Martinenza of Service Unlimited, Inc., Inducted to the ABC of Delaware Board of Directors!
- Johnson & Jordan, Inc., Teams Up with Fisher Engineering and Achieves Success Before the Snow Falls!
- The Unified Group is pleased to announce Mobile Air as our newest Purchasing Partner!
- Member Success - A&G Services
- Check out Blauch Brothers' New Video!
- Blauch Brothers Participates in the Greatest Needs Drive Before Christmas!
- Air Controls Holds a Mini Job Fair for Students From Billings Public Schools!
- B&I Contractors Bring "Joy With Toys" to Hospitalized Children During the Holidays!
- J&J Air Conditioning Volunteers with BOMA Silicon Valley & City Team International to Give Back to the Community!
- ENR Ranks Cullum a Top Mechanical Contractor, Plumbing Contractor, and Specialty Contractor in the Southeast!
- J&J Air Conditioning Has a Successful Toy Drive!
- Service Unlimited Employee’s Generosity to the Sunday Breakfast Mission Shines This Holiday Season!
- Service Unlimited Employees Elected for the Delaware RSES Board of Directors!
- Air Controls Donates to Tumbleweed to Help End Youth Homelessness!
- H.C. Blake Co. Inc., Opens New Headquarters in North Huntsville!
- B&I Contractors Participates in the Lee County 2019 Heart Walk!
- 2019 Annual Meeting & Owners' Forum Video Highlights!
- Blauch Brothers Keeps a Continual Reminder on Enriching the Lives of Everyone Around Them!
- VHV Company Landed 7th Place in Vermont Food Bank Fundraiser!
- Blauch Brothers is Making the Difference in the HVAC Industry!
- 2019 Annual Meeting & Owners' Forum Highlights
- B&I Contractors Lends a Hand to Harns Marsh Elementary School!
- B&I Contractors Donates a Decorated Tree to Goodwill Industries of Southwest Florida Annual Festival of Trees!
- Register today for the upcoming 2020 Sales Forum!
- Member Spotlight - Service Unlimited, Inc., & Mechanical Service & Systems, Inc.
- Glassman Corporation Hosts Their 4th Annual Skilled Trades Tech Day!
- 2020 Annual Meeting & Owners' Forum Location Revealed!
“ The best way to resolve issues is with communication. The breakout session allowed me to get feedback from people in my field who deal with the same struggles as I do. ”Dan Batt
Harvey W. Hottel, Inc.